Monday, February 2, 2009

Hawaii!!!!!

We just got back yesterday from an awesome family vacation to Kona, Hawaii. We took the kids out of school for a week-- and it was so worth it. I do much better getting through the winter if I go somewhere warm in January or February. We had a layover in LA before we got on the long plane ride to Kona. We rode in a shuttle bus between terminals, and apparently Carter thought it was the funnest thing. He kept on screaming, "Wheeeee! Wheeeeee!" The kids were all amazingly good on all the plane rides, and it turned out to not be so bad.


SUNDAY
We got to Kona late Saturday night and slept in Sunday morning. We didn't know where a church was or what time, so we were really lazy. We found the church later, and it was only about 3 minutes from our house-- right next to the temple.

We ate brunch at U Top It, and Hayden was so excited about his meal. He said it was the best food he had ever had. It was just a banana crepe with sausage and eggs, but he loved it!!!

Jackson took a picture of us.

The kids had heard about Hawaiian shaved ice from their friends, so we had to go try it. Jackson's coconut with icecream was amazing.

Olivia and Hayden were more into the rainbow.
Our friends, Amy and Bill, came and met us Sunday night. They have 3 kids that are close in age to ours, so we had such a great time!
MONDAY
Apparently I didn't take any good pictures Monday. We went to the beach in the morning, and then after lunch Amy and I took the 2 little ones home for a nap. Eric and Bill took the rest of the kids to another beach for boogie boarding. They came home and told us that it was the greatest beach ever--like 100 times better than the one we went to that morning. Thanks for rubbing it in that we we bored at home! We tease them that the beach doesn't actually exist, because every time we tried to get them to take us back there we failed. I guess there is only 27 parking spaces and they won't let you through the gate if it is full.
TUESDAY
Tuesday was such a beautiful day!!! We had surf lessons in the morning.

We went to the shop first for our pre lesson out of the water.



Jackson and Hayden did such a good job. They were naturals! They were tons better than me.

Livy, Kat and Carter watched us from the shore.

It looks like I was about to go down in this picture. Was I plugging my nose? Brenda-- you would definitely be plugging your nose before you fell!
After lunch it was off to another beach. Apparently this one was the best for boogie boarding. It was great for Eric and Bill, but it made me a little nervous for the boys. The waves were pretty intense.


Liv made this sand castle and then told me I needed to take a picture of her with a sandcastle for her baptism video. Eric has made videos for the boys to show at their baptism, and apparently Olivia is already figuring out the pictures she wants in hers.
WEDNESDAY
We took the long trek to see the volcano. It was fun, but I think I'd rather be in the water. It is a lot colder there, too. We had to wear sweatshirts. It seemed cold at the time-- then I got home yesterday and remembered what is really cold.


Seriously, what am I wearing that day. The water shoes and red sweatshirt with the bright skirt looks pretty terrible together.


We stopped at a black sand beach on the way home. It was wild. There was even a turtle on the shore.


I've got to say that I love the feel of sand between my toes. I hate shoes. The only kind I really like are flipflops. I'm not meant to live in cold weather!


Eric chopped off 2 legs of this crab by accident when he was digging with the kids. It was kind of disturbing.

THURSDAY
This was also a really great day. We kayaked in the morning over to the captain cook monument. There was amazing snorkeling there.


Carter had a great nap in the kayak on the way back. Hayden was in my kayak, and he was an awesome little rower. Jackson was with May. They did really well, but they claimed their boat was cursed.
FRIDAY
This was an all day beach day. I guess applying sunscreen in the wind and not reapplying is a bad idea, when you haven't seen much sun in the last 4 or 5 months.

Carter was constantly covered in sand from head to toe. Everything he ate was covered in sand, too.





Our little water boy had the time of his life!
SATURDAY
This was a very sad day, because we knew we had to leave that night. We went to lunch and then toured around a bit. We were all a little too burned to have another beach day.
I love her!

We went to some Hawaiian place of refuge. Olivia was not impressed. She was walking around pouting and saying, "This is not fun! You said we were going to do something fun!"


Baden and Carter were so cute walking together in their Byu shirts. I had to take a picture.
Our flight left at 10:30 that night. You would have thought the kids puppy got ran over if you saw them at the airport. They were so sad to leave Hawaii. If it weren't for the kid's school-- we'd stay another week.

8 comments:

Amy C said...

I absolutely love the pictures of Carter on the Boogie Boards! Darling! We miss you guys so much - even more than we miss Hawaii! Loved your post. I have some pictures of you and Jackson surfing that you should post when I send them to you. You forgot to mention the Cabala - what would our week have been like without it?! And I noticed you managed to to say "place of refuge." Impressive! Love ya girl!

.........Still ME! said...

I thought we decided that we were going to go on a vacation together! It looks o fun, but really don;t worry about us here in the tundra. You are so right, I would be plugging my nose WAY before I hit the water, I can't even imagine ocean water in my nose!

We miss you guys tons!
ps - super pictures, super cute kids!

Nichole Lowe said...

What is up with going to Hawaii without us? I feel the same as Brenda! Ha, Ha,. It looks like you had a blast. We do need to do a girls trip soon. It looks like Brenda and fam may be coming down next month, you should come on down too. We can go and celebrate mine and Brendas birthday together.

Melanie said...

Well if everyone is jumping on the mad cuz they wanted to vacation with you bandwagon, i'll hop on! Kidding, would have been so fun! Your voicemail was so great, i was laughing at you two while listening! it looks like a WARM good time. We need to plan a girls trip asap! miss you!

Holly said...

Oh man, those Hawaii pictures were tough to take because I want to be somewhere warm too! Jan or Feb is the best time for a warm vacation I think. Looks like a good time. Would you say that's your favorite island?
(you look really skinny btw)

lindsey enloe said...

FUN FUN FUN!!! Wish i were there!!

Tolman Family said...

I want to go to Hawaii SO bad! I'm glad you all had a great time. I love the pictures and of course the one with the turtle ... how can you beat that!?!

Natalie said...

I think we were in Kona around the same time!!! It would have been so fun to see you guys!